Awards and presentations at our AGM
Posted on 21 July 2018
Once again it was standing room only at the Scout Group’s Open Evening, AGM and BBQ on Friday 15th June with over 75 parents and carers packed into HQ along with our Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Young leaders and adult volunteers plus representatives from Ware and District and national Scouts to hear about many of the achievements over the last year and take part in the Group’s AGM.
The evening started with a photo montage video featuring photographs of our young people and volunteers taking part in a huge range of activities from the last year, which the children especially enjoyed. Then the Scout Group’s Chairman proceeded with the formal AGM element of the evening which covered the election of Chairman, Group Secretary, Treasurer, Auditor and members of the Executive Committee and the approval of the year’s accounts. The Chairman was particularly keen to thank the many organisations and people in our local community who have supported the Scout Group during the last year including French and Jupps, St Margaret’s and Stanstead Abbotts Parish Councils, RBS and East Herts District Council for their discretionary rate relief. He also went on to encourage people to complete Gift Aid forms which would significantly help the Scout Groups annual income as this provides the Group with income directly from the Government (not individuals). Please note that Gift Aid Forms can be download from your MyScout account.
A copy of the 2017/18 Annual Report was given to everyone attending and can also be viewed online here.
After the AMG had finished, the Chairman, Group Scout Leader and the Deputy District Commissioner presented several awards to both some of the young people and adult volunteers in the Scout Group.
The Scout Group’s Chairman, Gavin Miles presented participation awards to the boy or girl in each section who had ‘participated’ in their section’s scouting activities the most over the year. This years awards went to:
- Scout Troop – James Gilbert
- Panther Pack – Cara Slater
- Jaguar Pack – William Gilbert
- Forest Beaver Colony – Jasmine Anzalone
- Woodland Beaver Colony – James McGuinness
Paul Pedroz Memorial Trophy Award
This award is given to a Beaver, Cub or Scout for the year from the leaders as to who has improved, impressed or produced the most outstanding work and who needs to be most recognized. The Award consists of a trophy for each of 5 nominated and then the overall shield to the overall winner. Each of the 5 sections put forward their nominations who each received a small trophy and were:-
- Scouts – Bobbie Mayer
- Panther Pack – Jack Ridout
- Jaguar Pack – Owen Hockin
- Forest Beavers – William Sullivan
- Woodland Beavers – Lexi Nash
Finally the overall winner of the Paul Pedroz Memorial Trophy for 2018 was awarded to Bobbie Mayer from the Scout Troop.
Scout Association Awards
Ian Hooper the Deputy District Commissioner then made several awards to some of our adult volunteers in recognition of their work in the Group and for completing their leader training..
- The 5 Year Service Award was presented to Matt Gardener, Alex Brown, Keith Macpherson, Deborah Wren, Alexandra Brown, Jo Morton and Jill McTaggart.
- The 10 Year Service Award was presented to Neil Johnson, Caroline Thompson and Catherine Moorcroft.
- The 25 Year Service Award was presented to Les Daniels.
- The 40 Year Service Award was presented to Richard Atkins.
The Wood badge was originally part of a ‘necklace’ consisting of wooden beads on a leather strap that was given to Scouting’s founder Baden Powell who decided that when a leader completed training this would be passed on. This tradition continues and some were awarded during the evening.
- Lynn Isham – (new certificate)
- Lucy Isham
- Paul Silver
- Debbie Gilbert – two Wood Badges (Cub and Scout Section Assistant Leader)
- Jo Morton
- Keith Macpherson
- David Cowan
Chief Scout’s Awards
The Deputy Commissioner for Hertfordshire Scouts then went on to present several Chief Scout’s Awards to the girls and boys in the Group who have recently completed all of the challenges and activities required for the award for their stage in Scouting.
- Chief Scout’s Bronze Awards were awarded to Beavers Nathan Boswell, Keyaan Cottis, Lexi Nash
- Chief Scout’s Silver Awards were awarded to Megan Harvey, Jack Gardner William Gilbert and Ellie Altoft.
Finally everyone was invited to enjoy the BBQ and campfire outside and continue the celebrations.